Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Midge Has Been Bred

Yesterday I bred my broken black Minilop buck to my black (broken?) Satin doe. He didn't seem to have any idea what he was doing, So I decided to leave her in there for 24 hours, like we used to when I was a kid. She is now back in with her doe kit, to continue nursing her for two more weeks, and to let the baby adjust to the feed easier. I also feel like babies of all species grow better when mom is allowed to nurse and wean them at a more natural pace. It may very well be true that rabbits wean early, but I see no reason to take baby away when they are happy together.

In two weeks, I plan, baby bunny will be taken away from mom, and that will give her a good two week period to get ready for her new kits to be born. By that point, I will have a cage system set up so we have growout cages, a buck cage (probably to go downstairs, Doodle will be a "pet"), and doe cages. Three doe cages, to start, six grow out cages (one for each gender of each litter), and one buck cage. So I need to build eight cages, as I can use a dog crate for Doodle. They need to stack, as I have them inside, and they need to have good trays underneath so i CAN KEEP IT CLEAN. No worse smell than cat piss, but bunny pee comes in not far behind, and I live in an apartment complex, and am not supposed to have animals, let alone a full-blown rabbitry. Hehehe.

Now here's hoping Midge WAS bred, and with a kit colored/gendered like I want. :) That is to say, a fat doe with good broken coloring.


John 10:30 "I and my Father are one."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did I miss? Comment and let me know what you think!